Friday, August 20, 2004

Black Bears are More Important than Children

According to a Fox News story that aired last night, a Kentucky man will stand trial for killing a black bear. To summarize the story: bear wanders into yard, bears can kill small children, therefore gun owning dad shoots and kills bear and is subsequently charged with killing an endangered species. Dad now faces up to a year in jail and a $1000 fine.

Well I guess the proper thing to do was let the friggin' bear kill you and your family! What the hell do people use their brains for these days! I have little patience for utter stupidity and it's STUPID CRAP like this that drives me nuts.

The state has the audacity to claim that the bear wasn't a threat, saying "the black bear seldom attacks people and is a shy creature by nature." I'm sure that would have looked nice on the family's tombstones. "Here lies the Smith family. Bear lovers 'till the end." I also couldn't help but notice that the bear keeper in the video explained how shy and docile black bears are from the OUTSIDE of the bear cage! What's the matter zoo boy? Scared of a shy, docile black bear? Worried the timid little bear might rip your friggin' face off!? Moron.

And think about this, the state of Kentucky will have to try to prove their case by making two points. First, they have to prove that dad never really felt threatened by a black bear in his yard (good luck). Second, they'll have to come up with some other plausible motive for dad to shoot the bear. How much do you want to bet they claim this guy is just a poor hillbilly who thought a stuffed bear would look cool between the velvet Elvis painting and the autographed Dale Earnhardt poster in his living room. Let's not mince words, this guy does look like a hillbilly and may have wanted to redecorate his trailer, but that doesn't negate the fact that a bear in your yard is dangerous.

Let me tell you something, if the choice is between my family's safety (common sense alone should tell you a bear in your yard is inherently unsafe) and a bear, I'll shoot the bear every time. In fact, I'd kill all of the damn bears on earth if I thought they were all a threat to my family. I'd eat bear steaks, make bear claw necklaces, all the pimps in Vegas would have bear skin coats! Screw the bears!!! Do you hear me!?

What also bothers me about this is that the left in this country is typically the champion of the poor as well as animal rights. Fine, but shouldn't the poor come before animal rights? Poor folks take note, you are lower on the democrats' totem pole than the snail darter! Killing people (especially the unborn), that's fine. Killing animals, no, no, no. Just ask Ted Kennedy. He'll be the first to tell you he regrets the incident at Chappaquiddick, but he was trying to dodge a cute little bunny in the road and after a dozen whiskey sours your reflexes get a bit dull. Ted's two month jail sentence was suspended, thank you very much.

All of this brings me to what I feel is the core of this issue. Some people in this country have so little regard for human life that animals rate higher than children. Think about that and tell me the left hasn't completely lost it's moral compass.

No comments: