Saturday, September 11, 2004

Alligator Sauce Piquante

I was informed a few weeks ago that I couldn't possibly have a blog that was in any way associated with Cajun country if I didn't post a recipe every once in a while. I'll buy that. Thus, in order to satisfy the recipe requirements of Cajun culture, I submit the following:

Alligator Sauce Piquante (pronounced pee-CAWNT)
2 lbs. alligator meat (cubed)
2 cups chopped onions
1 large chopped bell pepper
1/3 cup cooking oil
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped shallots
16 oz. tomato sauce
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
6 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp. basil
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp. oregano
salt & pepper to taste

If you like, you can marinate your gator cubes in wine for about an hour before cooking (up to you). Nothing cooks Cajun like a black iron pot, so I’d use that if you’ve got one handy. If not, use whatever you have. Saute the onions in oil until they are translucent and just starting to turn to a golden brown. You’ll have to keep stirring to keep the onions from burning. Then add the celery and bell pepper and sauté until tender (keep stirring). Add Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings and simmer for about 10 minutes. Now add the mushrooms and drained alligator meat. Cover the pot and let this simmer for about 40 minutes. Add the shallots and parsley and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Instead of salt and pepper, use what Cajuns use. Tony Chachere’s or Zatarain’s or any one of a multitude of Cajun blended seasonings. This one (scroll to the bottom of the page) is made by a freind of mine who is also in a Cajun band (a real cajun dude). If you're having trouble finding ingredients, try this place.

I’ve yet to cook alligator myself but I’ve eaten it many times. Trust me, it’s delicious. Next time I'll do something that's currently in season down here. Dove season was open labor day weekend, teal (duck) season opens for a couple of weeks starting next weekend, and fish are plentiful year round. They don't call this state the sportsman's paradise for nothing!

Bon Apetite!

No comments: