Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FIREPROOF (Go see this movie now!)



My wife and I rarely (very, very rarely) go out to see movies anymore. It seems every movie you watch these days must have some kind of obligatory sex scene or adultery or other crap that contradicts the inherent beauty in the sacrament of marriage. The underlying message in most of these films (or at least these scenes in the film) is that the successful manipulation of others for your own self interest is the benchmark of success. Christ obviously sets a much different, much higher standard for us to follow. Anyway, the opportunity arose this past Friday for us to go to the movies, so we decided to support a movie with a Christian theme. We went to see Fireproof with Kirk Cameron.

I must admit I had fairly low expectations going into the show. I figured we'd be the only couple in the place and the movie wouldn't be that great but at least I would have supported something positive that I believe in. I could not have been more wrong. The theater was absolutely packed (and the show has already been out for at least a couple of weeks now) and it was packed for good reason. This movie was GREAT! The message was positive and so much different from what we're used to seeing on the big screen. A movie about two real people with real flaws discovering the TRUE meaning of love and marriage. What an awesome message! Not to mention the fact that there were several scenes that made everyone in the theater laugh out loud.

I can't say enough good things about this film. I strongly encourage everyone reading this to go and see the movie for yourself.

2 comments:

ridge765 said...

I completely agree with your assessment of Fireproof and your assessment of mainstream movies' treatment of marriage. My husband and I saw Fireproof together, and we were struck by the movie's celebration of covenant marriage and unconditional love. So many movies today just insult marriage, promote affairs or portray marriage as joyless and worthless. Fireproof boldly proclaimed marriage as well-worth the sacrifice, yet didn't back down from the fact that it's at times difficult, even agonizing.

We have a copy of the Love Dare book used in the film, as well as a "Couple's Kit" which is a bible-study based on the film that couples can do at home or with a group. These have made a real difference in our ability to address and improve these areas in our own marriage, and they are probably the most important things we have done for our marriage this year. I found them online at www.fireproofresources.com. DISCOUNT ALERT! I think you can get a discount off the cover prices when you order from this site. Yay!

Anonymous said...

I just got back from watching Fireproof... it was great to see such a different-flavored movie on the regular, big screen